Old April 26th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

Default Lightning protection

A often faulty memory seems to recall that lightning deaths in the USA
are generally around 75/year and several hundred injured. Mostly, these
occur at outdoor events such as picnics, barbecues, ball games, etc.

As is stated in another response: if you can't control it we tend to
ignore it.

/S/ DD, W1MCE

Reg Edwards wrote:

There is much correspondence on these walls about protecting equipment
and property from lightning strikes. But there is never anything said
about protecting people. Where are your concerns?

In this country, UK, I can't remember the last time I read in the
newspaper about anybody being killed by lightning. It is extremely
rare.

It doesn't appear to give US citizens much cause for concern. Are you
all very brave? Or have you just got used to it.

Just curious. What is the annual death rate due to lightning, per head
of population, in states like Florida? Do you keep statistics?

How does it compare with the death rate from being chewed to death by
alligators in Florida swamps? Or dying from rattlesnake bites in
Arizona? Does lightning make it to the newspapers?
----
Reg.