Old April 26th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default Lightning protection

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:50:05 +0100, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

There is much correspondence on these walls about protecting equipment
and property from lightning strikes. But there is never anything said
about protecting people. Where are your concerns?

What on earth made you think that hams are generally safety conscious?

From my experience, I suggest that most place little value on safety
(fire safety, electrical safety, safe working at heights, safe
vehicular installations, protecting immediate family and other would
be rescuers from risk in the event of an accident).

I am not saying that no one does it, just very few.

A walk around most amateur stations reveals uncontrolled hazards.

And the statistics say that the probability of adverse outcome is low.

So in an unconscious risk managed approach, it seems most people
assess that "it won't happen to me".

Owen

PS: there are standards or codes that relate to lightning and
electrical hazards in most modern jurisdictions, but amateurs seem
rarely familiar with them, and to the extent that there is any
compliance, it is entirely accidental and unintended.