Old April 26th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default international radio

In article . com,
"junius" wrote:

This thread has been an interesting lesson in perspective, huh? When
we the shortwave group heard that Amy loved "foreign radio stations", I
think we all naturally thought that she had in mind the sort of
programming that we in this group tend to enjoy: Radio Netherlands, V.
of Vietnam, Radio Transoxiana...or take your pick.

I don't think that NYC top 40 stations came to mind, although I suppose
that, given the existence of an international boundary between NYC and
her location in Canada, such stations are "foreign radio".

In any case, given the sort of thing that she's wanting to receive,
there are probably better options out there for her than shortwave
radio, even if there is the chance that she might in some odd instances
stumble across a transmission of the type of music that she enjoys.

Also, her interest is exclusively in the music...and, let's face it, if
she has even a remotely discriminating ear, then the type of audio
quality that can be expected with a shortwave transmission is likely
going to disappoint. Sure, we in this group love shortwave, and many
of us enjoy listening to music over this medium, despite its very
audible limitations.

I thought she wanted broadcasts in French for her husband.

"My husband is from France and he too is dying with the radio."

"I am, however, very interested in the Sony ICF-SW7600GR."

"We will only be looking to pick up major NY and major France stations,
no obscure stuff."

Based on these quotes and by golly the fact that she posted in
rec.radio.shortwave, I would make the assumption that she is actually
interested in short wave reception.

Now I know it will be a novel concept to some that posting here
indicates an actual interest in short wave but its true!

You are supposed to post news and information germane to the news
group. This might be a hard fact for the satellite Trolls to swallow
but that is how Usenet is supposed to work.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California