Old April 27th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default "interesting" antenna design

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:13:46 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

jawod wrote:
I was listening to 40M the other night and a reasonably clear SSB signal
came from a guy in Pennsylvania using 100 W to a rain gutter.

It was apparently raining at the time in PA.

All the mathematical modeling and tweaking discussed in this group ...
I thought the successful use of a rain gutter deserved some praise here.

Why? There's nothing unusual or exceptional about it.

Indeed.

Whilst it might have, and is probably still often done, it is unlikely
to comply with limits on Maximum Permitted Exposure to EMR. It has a
host of other disadvantages (EMC incompatibility, TVI/RFI, unreliable
performance to name a few).

The configuration is known as a CIA Special down here, being a covert
antenna. I suppose it is commonly done in places where covenants
prohibit external antennas.

Anyone who's been a ham for a few years probably has a handful of
similar stories. What conclusions should we draw from them?

Anything and everything "works" in the minds of amateurs. In the minds
of some, a few QSOs is adequate proof that something "works", though I
know you think differently Roy.

Owen