Old April 27th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default "interesting" antenna design

I've run the max permitted exposure calculators on some of my more
egregiously located antennas, and you'd be surprised what it takes to
exceed the limits if you're running 100W SSB. I've got to be in
compliance for people on adjacent balconies, and it's pretty easy on
HF.

According to http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/

Using 20% duty cycle for SSB to calculate average power of 20W into a
2.2dBi gain antenna (a pretty good rain gutter) at 7MHz, your neighbor
has to be a whopping 1.46 feet from the antenna. You only have to be
0.86 feet away.

It is a good point that the stealth crowd should be checking these
things out, though, as at least the apartment crew are using their
antennas in densely packed quarters.

I have discovered from said site that I should not run 100W 6m RTTY
into my Moxon lest the balcony next door become a more-than-allowed
uncontrolled exposure zone. On the other hand, maybe that's a handy
use for 25dB front to back ;-)

Dan
N3OX