Old April 28th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joel Kolstad

Default Checkin' out dummy loads with a VNA...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Problem is, all the documentation I have for my VNA shows devices to be
tested having *two* connectors (an 'in' and an 'out' if you will) like
filters for example. I can only connect to the *one* connection that
dummy loads typically have, since it'a a termination device rather than
a through one like a filter or attenuator. Does that mean I can't
analyse its
characteristics?

Tell your VNA you want to measure S11; it won't even touch the second port
(feel free to hook it up to a high-gain antenna and point it at the nearest
cell phone tower in your neighborhood...)

Unless your VNA is 20+ years old, it'll be happy to display the S11
measurement in the form of a Smith chart, real/imaginary impedances, VSWR,
etc...