Old August 17th 04, 06:40 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Honus wrote:
I'm new to the hobby, so please bear with me.

I picked up a Gene Scott broadcast last night on MW at 1615 KHz. Here's the
I'm listening in Seattle, and I really don't think that I've DX'd the guy
all the way from the Caribbean.

I wouldn't rule it out. Especially as particularly good east-west
conditions were reported that night.

The signal isn't constant; it faded out just like SW reception does.

Long-distance MW fades pretty much the same way.

So my question is, just how did I hear this
broadcast? Scott uses satellites, but I imagine they're geo-synchronous and
so (I assume) the signal wouldn't fade. Is that true? Is retransmitting of
MW or FM band signals ever even done in the first place?

The satellite transmissions would be on microwave frequencies; MW
transmissions from space wouldn't penetrate the atmosphere to be