Old April 28th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Default TT-247 and 102 whip for mobile antenna ?

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:53:33 -0400, Buck wrote:

I have been warned against using the TT to tune short antennas on
low frequencies.

Hi Buck,

Such advice is worthless as it says nothing about frequency, nor
shortness.

Of course, this was in reference to dipoles and base antennas.

Of course, nothing! The tuner has no way of distinguishing any
antenna and the lead from it as anything but a load.

The problem is reportedly that the loading coil will heat
up and be damaged and have to be re-wound.

No doubt.

I have about a 2 foot extension that I may also use to extend the
antenna a little.

Try it with a "short" 160M antenna, and folks will be making coil
winding gestures next to their heads for you.

I don't have the money to spend on auto-tuners and I have everything
but the whip and mount for the antenna configuration I just described.

You must have some idea of what band you are going to use it on, what
is it?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC