Old April 29th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

Default Lightning suppressor?

The low response to the question leads me to believe that many (most?)
have reached the same conclusions as I have.

That is:
Isolating the incoming antenna and control cables is the preferred
method. Providing a low impedance path to ground in the radio shack is
undesirable.

Further, adding an extra ground point in the system wherever is a
lightning no-no and introduces unknowns into the RF scheme. Especially
if one chooses to not run a 1:1 swr.

In my case the base of the tower has its own ground and is connected
to the structure lightning protection. I will continue to disconnect
and connect cables.

If an application that requires operation during electrical storms is
the norm, it becomes a different circumstance.

I will keep an open mind to the question though!
John W8CCW

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 03:41:56 GMT, Sum Ting Wong
wrote:

On 27 Apr 2006 17:24:55 -0500, wrote:

I would like to put an arrestor in the line but recommendations are
sketchy even from those who sell them. I assume it would be most
effective at the base of the tower on the ground rod. The drawing in
the ARRL Antenna Handbook shows the arrestor on a common station
ground.

John Ferrell W8CCW