Old August 19th 04, 03:54 PM

On 19 Aug 2004 06:09:08 -0500, Peter Dougherty
wrote:

Tim Boyd said :

I have installed a inverted V wire antenna. I have it connected with a
1:1 balun at 30 feet from the ground. The center wire is 66 ft 6 long

snip
Right now the antenna works from 40 meters to 6 meters

snip
I am getting started in MARS and need to transmit around 3.350 MHZ

You just said it above...your antenna is ~66 feet in length, about
right for 40 metres. If you need to transmit around 3.5 MHz, you will
need to double the size of the antenna at the very least.

Key word: Center Wire.

"The other leg is 28 ft long and attached to the roof of my house
(appox 20 feet)".

I'm assuming the "center" wire is the center wire cuz it's hooked
to the center conducter of the coax? If that's the case, he doesn't
have a "dipole". He has what is closer to a Windom, with a 1:1 balun
(which doesn't work, on most Windoms anyway).

But you're right - if he's trying to make a Windom, and he wants
it to work on 80 meters, it's going to have to be at least as long
as an 80 meter dipole.

Then he's gonna have to lose the 1:1 balun and get a 4:1 balun,
and then he's gonna have to lose the tuner......

So I think the technical name of what he has now would probably
be "An Off Center Feed Dipole With A 1:1 Balun That's Really A
Dummy Load But It Works OK Until The MFJ Tuner Melts Or The
Balun Saturates". Or something like that :-)

Here's a picture of a Windom, Tim.

http://kh2d.net/windom.cfm

It presents a decent SWR on 80 meters, but at 30 feet high it's
virtually useless as an antenna on that band.

You'd probably be better off with a center fed dipole, cut to the
frequency you want to operate on, if you can't get it any higher
than 30 feet up.

73, Jim KH2D