Old April 29th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kevin & Natalia

Default Mobile Antenna Question..

Brian,

Also check out the Outbacker mobile antenna, I use one of these on my Toyota
Landcruiser, and works a dream.
Whatever antenna you decide to get make sure that it is in free space as
much as you can, this helps cut down car reflection, which is cases by metal
interaction.

I made a robust mount on the spare-wheel frame that hangs off the back of
the truck, and this made the job easier. As for mag-mounts, take into full
account the speed you may do, and the wind resistance the new antenna will
produce. Have heard of operators using a mag-mount for even a smaller
antenna, only to see in the mirror, it hanging or laying over the back.

Most mobile antennas are about 1.4mtrs up, my outbacker is approx 1.6mtrs
from the base to tip, and this is another 1.2mtrs off the ground.

I can send you a photo if you wish, and helps explain my setup?

All the best, willing to help if you have any further questions.

Kevin, ZL1KFM.

"Brian Murrey" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a 2004 Ford Tarus SES and I was thinking about putting a mobie HF
antenna on it so I can play radio while driving from city to city doing my
job.

I have never had a mobile HF rig so I have some questions.

First...is there a website, newsgroup, or some other resource that might
have some HF antenna mounting info about my particular car?

I'm thinking about using a hamstick or a Workman Mobile from Hamstop on
eBay. I guess the big gnarley triple mag mount would work, but I was also
thinking about a license plate mounting kit....any suggestions?

How tall are these types of antennas for 40m, and 20m? My rig is a KX1
and
it has 20, 30, and 40 meter capability.

Thanks

73 de KB9BVN

Radio Amateurs - Fill your junk box, from my junkbox!
http://www.hamradparts.com
73 de KB9BVN