Old April 29th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

Default BPL in California

"Telamon" wrote in message
I will not be looking forward to this. I don't understand why the CPUC
went forward with this when BPL trials are a known problem in other
states.

They allowed BPL because it's a win-no lose situation for the politicians.
If BPL somehow succeeds, the politicians get to ride with Al Gore on the
"helped create the internet" bandwagon. Some voters are stupid enough to
believe that crap.

If BPL continues to fail, the out-of-power party can't slap the in-power
party with "The regulators are blocking BPL choice because they're owned by
the DSL companies/cable companies/satellite companies." Some voters are ...

It's been my impression that BPL has been largely a disappointment, but now
I'm not so sure. Despite BPL's technical shortcomings it contiues to
attract money. Perhaps this is how the "new economy" works. Sell dreams
and leave the mundane business of making products to the Asians.

Anyway, the American financial industry is now bigger than the American
manufacturing industry. We may no longer dominate the world's production of
things which actually work, but we sure can keep the money flowing, even for
the damndest trekkie physics projects. And you wouldn't expect the
Republicrat party to discourage fools from parting with their money, would
you?

Frank Dresser