Old May 1st 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
Scott Dorsey

Default recording using a Astatic D-104 mic

In article . net,
St. John Smythe wrote:
wrote:
Want to use an Astatic Sliver Eagle for recording. This mic has a 4
pin connector. In order to use it for recording I need to get it to
an XLR or 1/4 inch connector. Is there an adaptor? Will I need to
wire a different connector on it? If so, can someone tell me what
wires should go to where on the new plug. Thanks.

Both crystal and dynamic elements were available for D-104s, although
the crystal elements were more common. The mics used to have an
internal wiring diagram inside the bottom plate. (You could wire them
so the push-to-talk switch also switched the mic element, or not.)

Pop off the bottom and take a look.

ALSO, I believe many of these were sold as dual-Z units. You could use
two pins and the ground to get a balanced low-Z output, or the third
pin and the ground to get an unbalanced high-Z output. Which one you
want probably depends on what you are plugging it into and what you want
it to sound like. There is a transformer in the base of the dual-Z
models with either element.
--scott