Old May 2nd 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Degen DE-1107 / Kaito KA-1107 portable shortwave radio - what to expect?

Stephanie Weil wrote:
I've been looking at this radio as sort of a larger version of a "daily
use carry around" radio to upgrade from my little J-Win JX-M14 pocket
set.

I'm not expecting any great things like I probably should/would from
Sony's top-of-the line radio (the ICF-SW7600GR ).

I just want something with a dial & needle in order to rapidly surf
around the dial for general listening but no hybrid digital radio with
an analog looking dial. But I do want something decent.

The dual-conversion feature it advertises seems to be nice. Would this
radio be all it's cracked up to be or is it a total dud?

By the way, what are people's opinions on the SONY ICF-SW7600GR ? I'm
looking to get that as my "quality portable".

I do collect radios, it seems.

Thanks for your help!!

Stephanie Weil
New York City
USA

Here's a Yahoo group focused on that receiver. They should be able to
comment on performance. To be honest, unless you really want a true
analog receiver you might consider something with with a little more
advanced circuitry. I happen to like tuning with a rotary knob instead
of pushing a button, so the Degen DE1103 filled that bill very nicely
for me. And it has both digital and analog displays, dual filters, ssb
capability, etc. The DE1103 can be had for about $65.00 delivered so
the price is hard to beat.