Old May 2nd 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Dr.Death

Default Varmint XL-1000

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Dr.Death" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
Anyone have one of these splatterboxes? I owned one and at one time
Johnny Carson and I were competing for the same TV channel.

Nasty little sweep boxes they were!

Loud too..I remember it.

Yes they were, they had a "SuperMod" circuit that really boosted the
mod at the expense of deadkey. Actually, it was probably the best way
to drive the damn thing.

That and a Mark III would make ya famous back in the day!

flashbacks

http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/rigs/Varmit-XL-1000.jpg

I had a Varmit 450xl hooked to my 148. It was the ****. I later traded
the Varmit for an HR2510 and bought a 10 tube phantom. I still have the
148 as I truly love this radio. I recently found some decent covers and
knobs for the 148, but I still need a new faceplate as I have most of the
lettering worn off from about 18 years of use.

That radio would still be a favorite if it were available, eh? I have an
old eagle 515 kenrich tube amp that hasn't been plugged in for about 8 or
10 years. It probably needs some caps by now..

I'd love to have a new one. It's a shame that they had change them. In my
opinion it was one of the best ssb radios ever made (by CB standards).
Ever seen caps blow? Makes a hell of a mess. LOL