Old May 3rd 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default 40M band closed ?

wrote:
I have another doubt. A 11KV power line is running some 20 feet away
from my antenna. My doubt is whether this power line may be responsible
for the QRN?

That's VERY possible. High-voltage lines like that tend to be pretty
noisy.

On the other hand, while it could certainly cause noise for you, it
shouldn't cause noise elsewhere in the city - other hams shouldn't have
problems.

I wonder if maybe a shortwave broadcasting transmitter, especially one
on the 41m band, has a fault and is radiating spurious noise? If the
noise is that strong, I would think such a fault could be heard
elsewhere in India, maybe within 400km or so during the day and quite a
bit further at night. The recent VU4 Andaman expedition didn't mention
anything like that though, and I'd think it *would* be audible on VU4 at
night if it was that loud.

Do you have the capability of listening on other frequency bands? Is
this noise present in the 49m (6MHz) shortwave broadcasting band? In
the 80m (3.5MHz) and/or 20m (14MHz) ham bands? How about in the MW
broadcasting band? Or on TV? (assuming you're using analog terrestrial
over-the-air reception)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66