Old May 5th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default TecSun PL 500

tao lao wrote:
yeah, of course. it's not wise to compare it with high-end radio like
ICF SW7600GR. by the way, is there any weaknesses of 7600? so far I
only see its strengths..

The PL550 is a nice radio that will get a lot of MW, Shortwave and FM
broadcast stations. I think that you would get a far better mix of
features, better performance and really good audio for the same price
if you switched to the DE1103 however.

As to whether the 7600 is a perfect radio that has only strengths, well
I can only say that I've owned numerous radios in 20 years of swling
and I've enjoyed most of them. But none of them were without
shortcomings, or tradeoffs.

For me the biggest issue with the 7600 is the lack of a tuning knob.
Punching a button to move up and down a band is not nearly as easy as
using the tuning knob found on the DE1103 or the Sangean ATS919. And
the audio out the speaker is typical somewhat muffled Sony
unfortunately. I used a much earlier version of that radio, the Sony
ICF2002 and enjoyed it. But button tuning was clearly an impediment to
ease of use.