Old October 2nd 03, 08:29 AM
Roy Lewallen

The gain (that is, the strength of a signal sent or received in a given
direction compared to a reference antenna) is the same for transmitting
and receiving. However, gain is often the least important criterion for
a receiving antenna. The reasons why are summarized in a posting I made
just a few days ago. Go to http://www.groups.google.com, choose
newgroup, on the thread "Ten-tec vee beam". I and others have also made
similar postings in the past on the topic, which you should be able to
locate by searching for a few key words or phrases such as "receiving
antennas".

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Nick C wrote:
Sorry for the dumb question, but the ARRL antenna books just confuse me
sometimes. I seem to get more questions than I get answers to.

Question: In an HF beam antenna, such as a Yagi... the forward gain
measurement... is this in terms of the output gain (ERP) or does this also
mean the receiving gain as well?

The reason why I'm asking: I'm trying to come up with the ideal SWL
antenna. I currently have a 75ft wire antenna using the RS kit. This does
a pretty good job of pulling in signals. I'm just wondering if there's a
better option.... such as a multi-band HF beam antenna..?
So what antenna would give me the best "gain" in terms of receiving power.
I'm doing no transmitting here...

Thanks