Old May 6th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default J_Pole Trials and Tribulations

The J-pole crowd seems to tout fantastic claims about this antenna and I
....[snip]....

... my affinity for the j-pole comes from its simplicity and durability.
... Mounting is a dream -- it even works if you drop the low end into a

plumbing vent pipe. (How would I know that? ;-)

I once made a J-pole from 300-ohm twinlead and tweaked it until it worked
OK while hanging from the ceiling, but when I moved it over next to a
wood-framed picture window (hung it from the window casing), the SWR went
to pot. Did I do something wrong?

(I concluded the J-pole must be VERY sensitive to its surroundings.)

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge