Old May 6th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Receiver test data

Guy Atkins wrote:
"John S." wrote in message receiver with the best spec.

And the finest receiver in the world is no substitute for knowlege of
the bands, how tie the receiver properly to one or more antennas, etc.

Amen! An experienced DXers with an average radio can run circles around a
beginner with an expensive, hot rod receiver.

Other aspects of the entire signal chain are often overlooked or too quickly
dismissed. Here's my list of criteria, in descending order of importance:

1. ionospheric propagation
2. antenna(s)
3. receiving location (RF-quiet, noisy, at the beach for sea gain
enhancement, etc.)
4. the DXer's experience
5. receiver
6. luck!

Anyone else with a similar or differing list?

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com

I agree with this your list in its order, however, in place of luck I'd
put "Perserverence." You can make your own luck if you keep listening
regardless of your equipment. Conditions are constantly changing.