Old May 7th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
chuck

Default HF Mobile - Grounding Antenna when stationary

OZUser wrote:
As an avid 4WD SUV owner I do a lot of outback travelling (Austrlian
Deserts, Cape York, Kimberly Coast) and as such have a Barrett 950 HFradio
&Barrett 910 Autotune antenna installed for comms.

Would it be preferable when camped / stationary to earth the vehile to a
"ground" ground = what I am looking for is a better receive signal ?????

What are the typical distances you want to cover?

Below 7 MHz and at distances in the hundreds of miles, relatively low,
horizontal antennas may perform better than a vertical whip, even if
only the same length as the whip.

Chuck