Old May 7th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
Mike Rivers

Default recording using a Astatic D-104 mic

Jack wrote:

Used to have an old D104 with the amp inside and this setup easily goes
back to the 70's.

That's at least 15 years newer than the last one I had my hands on.
They were orignally crystal mics, and that's the "real" D104. However,
apparently recent models are just like any other mic as far as
interfacing goes. And as far as sound goes, they do their best to
retain the classic "communication mic" sound, which is in general
completely undesirable for a studio mic. But as we all know well,
there's an application somewhere for almost any crappy sound. But a
D104 would never be my "go to" mic for anything other than recording
taxi dispatcher monologue for a film - and I don't do that.