Old May 10th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Clair J. Robinson

Default 12 volt plate tubes

wrote:

Anybody know any tubes...st or gt shape preferred that will work on 12
volts plate voltage for small 1 tube regens...possibly a stage or two
of amplification also.

I know there were automobile radio tubes made that didnt need vibrators
but dont know any numbers myself.

In desperation, I once wired the triode section of a 6U8 into an
oscillator circuit that had been designed for one of those 12v space
charge tubes. It worked that one time, anyway.

I was replacing a pair of "VHF Triode-Pentode" tubes by Sylvania (I
don't remember the type number) in an FM to AM auto radio converter
whose performance really sucked. The other three stages were fairly
easily re-wired to work off an external 250v supply, but the oscillator
didn't look promising. The effort was a success. I think I at least
tripled the distance from the stations at which I could hear them.

73, CJ KØCJ