Old May 11th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
John

Default Bearcat 800xlt - what type of connector for the external antenna connector

Thanks - this is very helpful - I'll check it out

"wbertram" wrote in message
corrected copy:
www.universalradio.com shows 'Motorola male-to-BNC' and 'Motorola
male-to-UHF' adapters, part numbers 1455 and 4650, respectively.

wbertram wrote:

It is most likely that this is a connector type typically used for
automobile radio antennas. It is known as a "Motorola" connector. I had
an older scanner with a similar connector. Radio Shack used to carry
adapters to convert to more common antenna connectors. I don't know if
they still do. If not RS, you could do a web search, or try some of the
online radio dealers.

www.universalradio.com shows 'Motorola male-to-BNC' and 'Motorola
male-to-BNC' adapters, part numbers 1455 and 4650, respectively.

#1455 #4659

John wrote:

The 800xlt has a female connector on the back that is labeled "ext
nt" -
that is about 3/8 " diameter and about 3/4" deep with a center hole
about
1/8" diameter. Looks like it would take some sort of friction fit male
connector.

I can't seem to find exactly what kind of connector this is or what will
fit
this. I have a scanner antenna that has the connector cut off the end
of
the cable - looks like the cable is RG-58 or close to that - with the
braided metal and a center solid wire. I went to Radio Shack with the
scanner - everyone scratched their head - one guy said he thinks it's a
"motorola" connector ??

Anybody know the name of this type of connector?

John