Old May 12th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

Default Magloop Height?

"Dave Oldridge" wrote in message
9...
"Lee" wrote in
o.uk:

Is there any optimum height for a 3ft dia magloop, or is it

dependent
on frequency??.

I have mine planted in the lawn with the top about 6ft from the

ground
(on a rotator!)
and was curious whether to work it against ground or put it at the

top
of the tower,
or have i completely lost the plot???, Heh heh........

Surprising how cheaply a magloop can be built for and after 12

months
it still works well!!.

What band is yours on? I have a 55-inch diameter coax loop that I'm

using
on 75, but I'm seriously thinking of working up a multiband design

in soft-
drawn 3/4" copper pipe. It would be six feet in diameter (mainly

due to
space considerations).

Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Dave,

Magloops with copper pipes are the most efficient of all small
antennas.

They should be rotateable through about 45 degrees.

Changing from coax loop to 3/4" or 1" copper pipe loop will be a
considerable improvement on both transmit and receive. Especially if
it is not too low above ground and is not in a cluttered environment.
The idea is to keep ground loss less than conductor loss.

For multi-band operation you will be best with a motor-driven vaccuum
tuning capacitor. With a 1000pF capacitor and a small loop the 160, 80
and 40m bands can be covered. It depends on the minimum capacitor
setting and loop perimeter.

There is no noticeable difference between aluminium alloy and copper
pipe. Aluminium alloy is lighter in weight and stands up to the
weather better but is more difficult to bend.

A square loop is not noticeably worse in performance than a circular
loop and may be easier to construct.

Download program MAGLOOP4 from my website. It may provide food for
thought.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.