Old October 2nd 03, 05:36 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:

Unfortunately, only the index of refraction of one of the boundaries
is known in my statement above. The index of refraction of the second
boundary is unknown, i.e. only the impedances at the two-port network
are known - the load is unknown.

Only if you've forgotten what you said it was. :-) If it's unknown,
how could you have known what it was a half wavelength away? We are
speaking about the problem you posed yesterday, right?

No question that rho is the end result of a ratio of impedances. It's
been my view that, like the V/I ratios we were speaking about, rho is
not a cause but a result.

But earlier, I thought you said rho caused a result.

I'll repost what I said. If you find something in error, please
advise. Thanks.

"To my way of thinking, rho is entirely dependent upon the impedances,
and the voltages (reflected voltages in particular) are dependent upon
rho. Not the other way around."

73, Jim AC6XG