Old May 12th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
an_old_friend

Default Total meltdown?

wrote:
Well Old Friend,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... You doubt that moderation
could help or you think it's just too far gone?

I think that a lot of the objectionable material that is obviously off
topic and the flame wars that have grown up around such junk as you
indicate would be *easy* to moderate away without giving up any freedom
to debate all sides of the issues.

it would be easy but I siply don't believit will happen

it has become perfactly acceptable to cenage in names calling rather
than anythinglike true deabte. one has merely to watch the news for
that

as member of several less than popular minorites I doubt that I would
receive any protection from moderators and that mdoeration would merely
end up serving as a sheild for my attacker since likely as well I would
be be premitted to truley respond to my attackers esp Robeson would
likely get through ost moderators I have seen meaning I would
effectively libeld without defense,

or else the moderation would be so heavy handed that nothing would get
through

You can disagree without being disagreeable... One only has to respect
the other guy, no matter how much you disagree with them.

indeed that is part of the problem

you are asking to respect people who main posting consist of calling a
child molestor,

I don't can't and will not respect these folks
For example,
you may think that somebody doesn't know anything about the topic they
are making statements about, but you don't need to call him stupid to
debate the issues. You can just start bringing up the *facts* you
think they missed and ask for their thoughts on them.

have you looked at the posts

does't work just get ignored

I think you and I have had such discussions without having to resort to
a name calling flame war.. It can be done.

we can sure but we are a small minority and perhaps another unpopular
one these days

-= bob =-