Old May 13th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris

Default Tube tester

Jump'n Jack Flash wrote:
I am looking to buy a heathkit tube tester. Can anyone enlighten me on the
order of model number. Is TC1 the earliest and the TC2, TC3, and finally
TC17 and or is there major differences in the models. I can't seem to fine
any catalog info on these.
Thanks

Did you want the Heathkit for a collection, or to use?

The reason I ask, is the Heathkit is an emissions tester, and as a result,
doesn't actually test anything but the cathode of the tube, and to check for
shorts.

Any of the Hickok machines would be a much better choice. They are all dynamic
mutual conductance (Gm) testers... (But then, with a used Heathkit, you do get
the added advantage of having a unit that was soldered by a hobbyist;-)

-Chuck