Old October 26th 04, 01:08 PM
John Hague

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:37:25 +0100, Walt Davidson
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:22:47 -0400, "G. Doughty"
wrote:

Looking to give DX a try. I have two attic dipoles for 20 and 40
meters. I
have a ten-tec scout 555 that runs 50 watts wide open. Anyways, I am
trying
to find a "node" to use on my laptop but am unsure what I need. I
think all
I need is a 10m radio (I have an htx 10) antenna (easy enough for a
dipole
in the attic) and a computer. Is that true? Also, with the computer,
I am
aware of Telnet, but how do I access a local node? I am probably
talking
out of my arse, but I think it would be interesting to get it all
hooked up.
I use a computer logger but I think I can access the node through a
phone if
need be. If it sounds like I'm confused, I am. A little help will go a
long way.

Thanks so much

I can't believe I'm reading this.

Is a connection to a packet cluster now a prerequisite for working DX?
How did we manage in those far-off days before there were any packet
clusters?

73 de G3NYY

I agree to some extent. Whilst the use of packet cluster can aid DXing,in
my experience it can sometimes be frustrating. This is because, if a spot
shows up on the cluster, then EVERYONE reading the spots will be aware of
it - quite often with the inevitable pile-up. This is often difficult to
break with 100W and low-height wire antennas. However, it's so much more
rewarding to tune the band(s) and find a rare station calling CQ and be
the first one to reply.

Best 73

John, G4GOY .... 197 DXCC entities in the last 3 years