Old May 13th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AC Power line noise

Rather than build a metal box for the radio, you might want to try RF
shielding spray paint. It's about $20 a can, but it can do a few
radios. Fry's Electronics stocks it.

The hole for the speaker lets lots of RF through. You can use the
metal mesh filters used for fans in electronics gear.

wrote:
Since T-storm seanon is here, and I have ripped my radio room to
shreds, I am
reduced to operating from a portable for a few weeks while we rebuild,
and rewire
the room.

In between the recent storms I noticed a new RFI source. A reoccuring
crackle.
While we found the source, fuse on the input to the power transformer
of the house
next door, I decided to do some additional research on power line
noise.

I found a gold mine worth of data on the ARRL page.
For those facing power line QRM a little study
could be a big help in resolving the problems.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/powerline-FAQ.html

Two sections were very informative:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/power_line_handbook/
This shows the "correct" way to do a line noise RF hunt.
Even though I can't afford the tools, it does show the "how".

And since I can't afford that...

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/099252.pdf

I had been thinking of designing something similar, but why re-invent
the wheel. I built one using a Radio Shack Pro16 scanner and tested
it around or sub-division. The RECC people are going to get real tired
of me. I have already found several very noisy "poles".

Again please feel free to enjoy or ignore.

Terry