Old October 2nd 03, 06:43 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
If it's unknown,
how could you have known what it was a half wavelength away? We are
speaking about the problem you posed yesterday, right?

No, we are speaking about a statement I made unrelated to the problem
I posted. For that statement, the length of the feedline is unknown
and the load is unknown. What is known is the forward power and reflected
power on each side of the impedance discontinuity.

No question that rho is the end result of a ratio of impedances. It's
been my view that, like the V/I ratios we were speaking about, rho is
not a cause but a result.

But earlier, I thought you said rho caused a result.

"To my way of thinking, rho is entirely dependent upon the impedances,
and the voltages (reflected voltages in particular) are dependent upon
rho.

You said "rho is not a cause but a result" but then implied that
voltages are caused by (dependent upon) rho. Seems to me, rho
cannot both cause a voltage and be caused by a (voltage divided
by a current) which is an impedance upon which rho is dependent.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP