Old May 14th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default New shack site pic on web site

well one habit I developed a few years ago is before I touch any antenna or
inside of a radio/receiver/computer is to grab a metal chassis or something
to discharge myself

I have seem micropics of damaged semiconductors that appear to keep working
but actually have shorter lives due to the electric discharge.

I have posted a page about my shack on my web site. I have just
finished redoing it around my new GAP inline module DSP unit which
is a great help in reducing noise.

http://home.comcast.net/~maghakian/

Nice bench. Is it made of anti-static material?

no, but never had a problem that I am aware of

Well, with the solid state equipment it does not take much to kill
components. If it is ever a concern you can buy an inexpensive mat with
a high resistance wire connection to the AC mains ground to bleed off
static charge.

Put the unit on the mat and your hands on the mat before you touch the
inside circuit board.

One thing some people may not be aware of is that semiconductors can be
"wounded" and not just killed. If "wounded" the electronics can die at
a later time for no apparent reason.

With the computers I turn it off but leave it plugged in and touch the
chassis before I touch anything else. If I add something like a drive I
will touch chassis to chassis first or mount it before plugging
anything together.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California