Old October 2nd 03, 06:46 PM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:43:23 -0700, "Nick C" wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question, but the ARRL antenna books just confuse me
sometimes. I seem to get more questions than I get answers to.

Question: In an HF beam antenna, such as a Yagi... the forward gain
measurement... is this in terms of the output gain (ERP) or does this also
mean the receiving gain as well?

Yes, it works in both transmit and receive.

The reason why I'm asking: I'm trying to come up with the ideal SWL
antenna. I currently have a 75ft wire antenna using the RS kit. This does

If there were an "ideal" antenna we'd all be using it. Much depends
on the space available, (length, area, and height) and how wide a
frequency range (or frequency segments) you wish to cover.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

a pretty good job of pulling in signals. I'm just wondering if there's a
better option.... such as a multi-band HF beam antenna..?
So what antenna would give me the best "gain" in terms of receiving power.
I'm doing no transmitting here...

Thanks