Old May 15th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Dee Flint

Default ARRL members, I need your help.

"Slow Code" wrote in message
k.net...

Please email mail this to your Division Directors and Section managers.
With a loud voice, maybe we can get the ARRL to work for us instead of
against us:

No way. Your proposals are, in general, not reasonable.

No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all elements
required for their license class.

Actually there are NO automatic renewals now. You must apply for the
renewal. There's really no need to retest.

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

Why? It's been 74% as far back as I can remember.

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

The original code test back in the earliest days of licensing was only 5wpm.
It would be nice to have the 13wpm as a requirement since that's the speed
at which most people can't count the dits and dahs but those who use it will
get past that anyway. The 20wpm was only icing on the cake so don't see a
real need for it. Those who get to the 13wpm will get to the 20wpm if they
use it much. Although I advocate keeping code testing, we need not
reinstate the 20wpm in my opinion.

Make the no-code Tech license one year non-renewable.

Pointless change. Many people don't gain enough experience or get together
enough of a station in a year to know if they want to continue.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE