Old May 16th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Fred McKenzie

Default TCXO Substitution?

In article .com,
wrote:

I have been searching for a Kenwood SO-1 temperature compensated
crystal oscillator for the last 4 years. When I did find them (eBay),
they went for a fortune because I must not be the only looking for one.
I believe the SO-1 runs at 20Mhz...are there other units that could be
substituted? I believe the Kenwood SO-2, with also runs at 20Mhz, is
still available. Can the SO-2 be wired in place of the SO-1? Or is
there more to it than that?

Scott-

You can probably find service manuals on the web for rigs that use each
version. It should be possible to get an idea how the footprints compare,
what voltages are used and how similar are the loads. It may be possible
to find another company's TCXO that could be adapted, but it may be just
as easy to adapt the SO-2.

Your best bet may be to contact Kenwood's engineering department. It is
conceivable that the two might be the same, but the SO-2 has better
specs. It is also possible that there is a version available from Kenwood
parts, identical to the SO-1, but used in their commercial radios.

Incidentally, if you do find an SO-1, the label can be peeled back to
reveal a trimmer capacitor behind a hole under the "e" in Kenwood. I
adjusted mine so the 20 MHz WWV audio tone is the same on USB and LSB. It
is also possible to setup A and B vfos for 19.999 MHz USB and 20.001 MHz
LSB, and adjust the trimmer so the 1 KHz beat notes are the same. Either
way, you need a "musical ear" to be sure the two tones are the same!

73, Fred, K4DII