Old October 3rd 03, 12:07 AM
Greg Queen

Cecil,

I am no expert on the "legalese", but it appears the FCC has specified power
in terms of Effective Radiated Power (ERP). The standard is no more than
50-watts radiated by a dipole in free space. My interpretation is that you
look at the performance of your antenna at its maximum radiation point
(i.e., the azimuth & elevation) and compare it to the radiation from a
dipole in free space at its maximum radiation point(s). If your antenna has
less radiated power than the dipole, then you can feed more power to the
antenna (up to the point that you get the same radiation as a dipole in free
space).

I think this is the first time the FCC has used ERP (which includes antenna
gain and feedline loss) as a power specification for amateur radio.

Greg Queen
AE6MF

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Zoran Brlecic wrote:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...faq.html#three

Wow, all sorts of ramifications. A one-wavelength dipole has
about 3dB gain over a 1/2WL dipole so one must reduce one's
power to 25 watts.

OTOH, since a 1/2WL dipole over ground has about 6dB gain over
a 1/4WL ground-mounted vertical, can one run 200 watts when
using a 1/4WL vertical?
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP