Old May 19th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

Default bandspread tuning tutorial?

Lisa Simpson wrote:
I actually am in contact with the fellow over at AADE, thanx to a pointer
from "lowbander". They say a modification must be made to the 160 to allow
for a digital frequency readout to function, so I asked him how much he'd
charge to make that mod; haven't heard back yet . . .

It's not a big deal to connect a digital frequency display to the
DX-160. It just requires a short length of coax to the main tuning
oscillator circuit. If you have the schematic I can suggest the
connection location. Do you know how to solder? You could hardwire the
display to the receiver but it would be better to install a jack (RCA
female phone jack) on the back, so you could unplug the display. This
would allow you to use it with another receiver.

"HFguy" wrote in message

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Just for the hell of it, and to give this DX-160 one more chance, can

anyone

point me at a bandspread tuning tutorial? Is bandspread tuning similar

in

concept to a vernier by any chance? And, why is it necessary on the

DX-160

to use the main tuning to the specific "white crosses" on the dial to

use

the bandspread tuning dial?

The bandspread dial is only accurate when the main tuning is set to
those white markers.

I take it this is your first analog receiver that doesn't have a digital
frequency display. You would probably enjoy your DX-160 more if you used
a display with it. It can also be used with other analog receivers, in
case you get the bug for a real 'boatanchor'.

Here's where to get the display.

http://www.aade.com/#dfd