Old November 26th 04, 04:59 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

James wrote:
I have limited experience (ok almost none really) with respect to
Amateur Radio outside of the 2M band. However I just recently got my
code ticket & installed a radio on my sailboat. I am using a TS-50 with
an automatic tuner and a long copper wire to the top of the mast
(probably 50 feet or so long).

My ground plane/counterpoise consists of tying the ground to a large
aluminium area in the stern of the boat with a copper foil.

My very first contacts were established with 2 land stations on 14300 at
100W that were about 1000 miles away. They both reported that my signal
was good and that it sounded like I was "sitting right next to them". I
have no idea if this was a good distance, great, or mediocre.

I realize that propogation variables prevent anyone from giving a really
clear answer to this question, but in general, what sort of distance
should I expect to achieve? I'm trying to decide whether I need to
improve my antenna ground by adding a dynaplate (costly and requies the
boat to be taken from the water for installation) or whether the range I
am getting is decent.

Propagation will have a HUGE effect on your distance capability. Under
good conditions your station should be able to work any point on earth.
On the other hand, when the 14MHz band "goes out" (which at this point
in the sunspot cycle will happen pretty much every night) you'll be
lucky to work 30 miles.

I think the ground you describe should be more than adequate. (many
land-based mobiles settle for something MUCH, MUCH worse!)

You'll need lower frequencies for nighttime operation. 7MHz and 3.5MHz.
The antenna *may* (or may not) be too short for effective operation on
these bands. Try it, the worst that can happen is the automatic tuner
will refuse to make a match. (I think you'll probably be OK on 7, 3.5
may be a problem)

Good luck!
--
Doug Smith W9WI