Old May 19th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eton E10 $50 at Radio Shack

Squash wrote:
In-store only. I bought one, liked it, went back and got another (it was
the display unit so I got RS's double warranty on it). Funny, the clearance
label on the display said it was $99, but I showed the print out of their
web page to the clerk, he looked it up on the computer and said that it was
indeed $49.97.

I bought one too, but it turned out to have a blemished display. RS
seems to put items on clearance, when there are only a few left, but
they are usually returned, or display items. Of course, the RS
salesman lied to me an said that it was, "new-in-the-box", so I
returned it. Since I couldn't find one that was sealed, so I could use
it as a backup, it wasn't worth it. Then, I did some research on the
Web, on the E10, because it has that IF Shift switch, and I was leary
that it might be single-conversion (dual-conversion set wouldn't need
this switch) - sure enough, it is single-conversion, without SSB. I
felt like a idiot, but the price seemed really good, and I only wanted
to use it for AM Dxing. Unbelievable, that RS would sell a
single-conversion, without SSB, receiver retail for $120. Grundig/Eton
seems to be making low-quality receivers with a bunch of useless
switches on them (e.g., the S350's wide/narrow and IF low-pass filters
and RF gain control) - a lot of glitz for $100. Also, I read that the
E10's antenna trimmer knob can be left in one position, so it seems to
be pretty useless. So looking on the Web, there are bunches of E10s
for $39 + S&H, on Ebay ! Eton is coming out with new E10s and E100s, I
believe, with some sort of new rubberized coating. Also, on Ebay,
there are Degen 1103s for $45 + $25 S&H - this is a far superior radio
to the E10; it has dual-conversion with SSB, and is probably much
better quality (people rave about it on Amazon and eham.net). No more
Grundig/Eton/Tecsun in my life !