Old May 20th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Sal M. Onella

Default ARS License Numbers

I am quite sure that they all got their tickets with CW
required. And the problem stations on 75 are quite the same. Which
also proves nothing either way.

it does prove that CW testing is at best poor proof of screening out
bad ops

There's no test for one important ham skill: typing. I didn't appreciate
how important it is until I learned that one of my pro-Morse buddies does
all of his sending with a computer. (He can send with a key but doesn't
know where his is.) He says he copies with the computer, too, although he
can follow along with the audio.

I asked around and found this practice is far from rare; I'm not sure
"common" is the right word, though.

We also might want to test for basic language skills, including punctuation.
While it's not always true, the disagreeable transmissions (and NG posts)
often make the speakers/writers sound pretty ignorant.