Old May 21st 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dr. Jeff

Default 5.0 - 5.5 mHz. VFO

k9jri wrote:
I am looking for a contruction artical or some other starting point for
a solid state 5 to 5.5 mHz. VFO to use with my PSK-20. Hopefully
somebody can point me to a contruction project, a kit or a source of a
VFO.

The VFO used in the "Progressive Communications Receiver" by W7XZOI &
K5IRK, (QST 11/81; various ARRL Handbooks inc. 1990) is a good stable
general purpose JFET Hartley circuit VFO. It can be built to cover
frequencies from 2.5 to 10 Mhz. range.
The article has charts and calculations to derive component values for
the tuning capacitor, and inductor, etc. I've built one to cover exact
range you desire. As long as one follows good design practices, such
as: use NP0 capacitors only; tuned circuit should be lightly
coupled to the FET - i.e. use a small value like 2-3 pF cap., air
variable or small ceramic; the VFO will be stable. Power output is
around +5 to +8 dBm into 50 ohms depending upon type of dual gate
MOSFET used for the buffer amp.

Jeff