Old May 21st 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
g. beat

Default Dentron MLA-2500 Question

"JC" wrote in message
et...

For reference purposes, here are the Communication Quarterly and KU7G
articles (Adobe Acrobat)
regarding 4CX400a or 4CX800a conversions
http://www.tomstubes.com/images/mla_2500_4cx400a.pdf

KU7G
http://www.tomstubes.com/images/mla2500_4cx800a.pdf

w9gb

Hi, Thanks for the excellent links. I had seen the first one before. In
looking at the article about the 2 times 4cx400a, it jumps out at me that
this conversion leads to about 350-500 watts less RF output than original
(1100-1300 versus 750-800) even when using tubes with more capability. I
attribute this to running Tetrodes at low plate voltage. In this
application Hi-Mu Triodes are a better choice. Also the low RF drive need
for the Tetrodes make them attractive for low power exciters, and a
problem for us with a 100 watt exciter.

My conversion is similar to the 4cx800 article except I am using a 8877. I
use the same external box to house the socket, and mount the fan. The 8877
may not be designed for use at 1700 volts, but what the heck, I only want
about 1000 watt RF output. I need a chimney like what is described for
tthe PI-Network he 4cx800. Any idea where I can get a block of Teflon, and
then get it machined?

That article about the 4cx800 has some good visuals of the pi-net that is
being a problem with my 2500.

Thanks again,

Jim
WD5JKO

Jim,

Bob Schetgen, KU7G machined that Teflon block in the 4CX800 article .
Unfortunately, Bob passed away on December 5, 2005.
Bob worked at the ARRL Headquarters for nearly 23 years.
He was a member of the editorial staff for the past 16 years, he was perhaps
best known as the editor of the "Hints & Kinks" column in QST.

He also served as the managing editor of the League's technical and
experimenter's journal QEX.

w9gb