Old May 21st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What happened to the Christian Science Monitor stations?

The 3 stations owned by the Mother Church we WCSN in Scott's
Corner's, Maine, WSHB in Cypress Creek, South Carolina, and KHBI on
Saipan, in the Northern Mariana Islands. WCSN was put up for sale by
the Church in August 1993, and eventually sold to Prophecy Countdown, a
Florida-based Seventh Day Adventist ministry not affiliated with the
mainstream SDA's in early 1995. The SDA's operated the station under
the call letters WVHA, and changed the station location to
Greenbush,Maine. When the SDA's were late on the loan payments and the
electric bill, the power was shut off and the lender foreclosed on the
station. Ultimately, the station was sold to LeSea broadcasting of
South Bend, Indiana. KHBI was sold in the summer of 1998 to the US
government, primarily for Radio Free Asia transmissions to Asia.
Finally, WSHB was sold to LeSea 2 years ago,replacing their original
station, WHRI, in Nobelsville,Indiana. I hope that some of you
remember my reports about the CS stations and Monitor Radio that were
broadcast on Glenn Hauser's " World Of Radio."