Old May 21st 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer

Default NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

Whew! - what a choice - two of the best receivers ever made.
I think my money would be on the awesome R7A though, as if kitted out with
the right filters it's performance even today is really great.
It's synchro is also a wonderful feature and it's ability to get that really
faint far distant exotic DX is legendary.
A pal of mine has a R7a and on DXpeditions he always ran rings around us.
Unfortunately he has hung up his headphones, but refuses to sell his Drake.

A tough choice though.
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"John Berenyi" wrote in message
I have both these rigs fully accessorized. The 515 has the sherwood
filters, speaker, keypad controller, memory unit, 10-turn pot, etc. The
R7A has speaker and all the Drake filters for SWLing and the RV75. I also
use Sherwood's SE-3 Synch Detector with both rigs. I'm contemplating
(lighlty) to sell one of them but I"m having a hard time with choosing.
They are both unique in their own way. Both are 5-Star rated receivers.
What do you guys think?