Old November 30th 04, 08:19 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

I hear them all the time in CW contests particurlarly from Europe

The US Coast Guard used them for years

Some are used in WriteLog

See URL's below

"Derek Wills" wrote in message

Where is this list from? No problem with 0, 1 and 9 but "V"
for 4? Peter said VV was meant to be 33 in the case of EA8ZS
in the recent contest....

ABBREVIATED NUMBERS

FROM URL: http://www.qsl.net/yo5ofh/cw/cw_code_signs.htm
OR
http://alfanovember.iespana.es/alfan...20CW-MORSE.htm
OR
http://www.aritrieste.it/morse.htm

ALSO TERMED CUT NUMBERS -- See URL:
http://www.aritrieste.it/morse.htm

http://www.qsl.net/ve3mcf/elecraft_r...or_Newbies.txt

http://www.qsl.net/ve3mcf/elecraft_r..._Shorthand.txt

http://lists.contesting.com/archives.../msg00150.html

I have never heard any of those other abbreviations used in
15+ yrs of CW contesting. I have heard a single "dit" for 5,
as part of "599", when it's unambiguous. And in the ARRL
contest when power is part of the exchange, I've heard 599 000
for a KW (I sometimes reply "fb QRP").

I hope nobody sends these things to me in a contest as a serial
number, other than 0, 1 and 9!

Derek aa5bt (I guess that's 11560, or something...)

73
Keyboard In The QRN