Old May 23rd 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
JC

Default Dentron MLA-2500 Question

I'm assuming that is in the tune position? 800 mills sounds kinda
high in the tune/CW position.

The MLA-2500 has no tune / cw switch like some other Dentron's do. I guess
the amps you are referring to must have a tap in the HV transformer to run
1KW DC input on CW at lower plate voltage. Is that correct? I'm sure glad
this DC input stuff is past tense, and 1500 watts PEP output is simpler. Of
cource the AM'ers that ran 1Kw dc input with plate modulation got their
power cut back because it was legal for them to run ~ 3kw PEP output with a
750 watt carrier. I was one who did that back in the 1980's. That was a
blast!

My MLA-2500 has a "Cont Duty" switch that forces the fan on high speed
whenever the amp is keyed.

Also I was able to get well over 1500 watts PEP out of a pair of 8873s
without driving them hard.

Aren't the 8873's a conduction cooled version of the 8873,8874,8875 family?
Those have reduced plate dissipation, but no need for a fan.

conversions that run off 220 vac, and they say about 1700 volts for the
same

It should be just a transformer tap change for 220.

Yea, that asummes there is a 220 vac outlet in your ham shack. :-)

I still need a verification of them pi-net capacitors in the MLA-2500. It
appears that the original documentation is incorrect, and so is a redrawn
schematic on Bama.

Jim