Old May 22nd 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
clfe

Default Ebay & "The Market"

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
"John S." wrote:

Internet based sales have a huge advantage over in-place sales like
Dayton. Ebay and other sales sites can as we all know bring sellers
from around the world at any time of the day. It just isn't possible
to get that kind of coverage at an arena in Ohio.

E-bay and other on line auctions can never replace spotting a part or
piece of equipment you need that isn't worth the dealers time to list,
or would cost too much to ship. More than once I've asked about
something and was told to take it, so they didn't have to haul it home.
I've never seen an E-bay listing giving something away, and paying the
shipping to your door.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

You have a point there - not that I totally agree with the poster you
replied to. I've had some real bargains "handed" to me so they didn't have
to be hauled home.
Actually, each venue has its own place in life. Problem with Dayton and
other hamfests is between fuel costs and so on - there are more and more
factors involved keeping people away. Ham radio itself isn't what it used to
be. Then, some clubs who've had them - as I've heard it - had inner battles
as to how things are to be done and so on. So club politics played a part
along the line. I'm sure we could list many reasons for failures as they're
being seen. Question is, who has the "answers"? Times are changing. Things
change with time and I see it here in my own town - People DO NOT like
change. I'm sorry to see some things go too - but there's not much you can
do about some things.