Old May 22nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
rtc

Default shortwave and hams in the late 1950s

Talked to an old Tech once about 1958
(sunspots~200+) in the early
Sixties.He said that it was so good
it became boring...transcontinental
6 meter AM,plus even some Europeans
using special permission.
So they would go into the parlor and
watch transcontinental DX on TV channels
2,3,4....or just read a book.g

"Carter-K8VT" wrote in message
et...
weatherall wrote:
A couple months ago, Art Bell talked about the solar maximum (of cycle
19) in the late 1950s when the sunspot count was very high. He said
shortwave reception was incredible then, and he was easily receiving
hams from around the world. Were any of you listening to shortwave or
hams at that time? I want to know more about what it was like.

Well, the best as its ever been in my lifetime. Just got my General class
ham ticket around '59 or '60, so I was able to use my dad's ham station-a
Heath Apache and Mohawk with a 60 foot tower and a tri-band beam.

Working DX was almost too easy... the bands were spectacular, open almost
24 hours a day, even 10 meters. Just for an experiment, I remember turning
down the transmit power to around ten watts on 20 meters, and working
KC6PE (Ponape Island) on the first call...