Old May 23rd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
RadioGary

Default Dayton HamFest killed by E-Bay

I'll have to agree with this. I found what I was looking for plus an
old Allied A2516 tube ham receiver practically given away because it
had a blown fuse and missing cover screws. Other than that a great
time seeing old friends, alot of new stuff, and the weather was
perfect. I don't think Ebay can steal any of that. Maybe it wasn't
the best place to find antique radios, but it's a HAMfest and old
radios are not the majority of what you find there. If anyone thinks
that the crowd is less because of Ebay, wrong!! Hamfest numbers have
drifted downward in the past few years due to diminishing ranks in Ham
Radio. Now if this were a computer show you'd see a bigger crowd.
In short, you get what you get out of a Hamfest. Just because you
don't find alot of give aways at the flea market doesn't mean it's a
disaster. There is always plenty of other things to do. This is true
for the smaller hamfests as well.