Old May 23rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Me

Default Yacht Rf ground and radials

In article ,
Butch Magee wrote:

I don't think Icom would jack you around about this, do you really?
Marine radios are a large part of their business and they do know their
business. Uhmmm...this isn't one of those ionosphere posts is it?

Butch

Will wrote:
I want to set up a hf antenna for my sailboat.

I have read various guides from Icom etc.

They suggest running copper foil to a Dynaplate and use sea water as
the ground. How can this work when the Dynaplate is below sea water?

Is sea water equal to copper wire radials as a RF ground system?

Does sea water make a good enough ground without radials?

How can a piece of copper metal about 1 ft square equal several
radials laying on the boats deck?

Why do i have to use copper foil when most other people suggest using
ordinary copper wire?

Over seawater what would be the best number of radials to use
considering that maximum length i can run is 40 ft. I am planning to use
a backstay antenna with a SGC 230 Tuner.

All ideas and comments appreciated.

Will

No, Not an Ionsphere Post, just a guy who has no clue about the
technology that he wants to use, and he is asking questions, trying
to learn. From the replys he has received so far, he is finding out
that 99% of the hams, don't have a clue about MF/HF Marine Radio
Antenna systems Design, either. I suggest that he head on over to
rec.boat.electronics, and ask Larry, Gary S., Old Chief Lynn, or one
of the other Old Salts, that have been doing these installations for
decades, and have the experience in the technology being asked about.
Most hams think that MF/HF Marine Radio Antenna Systems design should
follow the same rules that Land Startions use. Well that isn't the case,
and usually ends up is a "**** Poor", marginal system that only talks
"when the Band is open", and "when the Band is open" even a wet noodle
will radiate enough to communicate.

Me